Thursday, August 30, 2012

DIY Dip-Dye Shirt



This is probably one of my easiest and at the same time best DIYs ever. Plus it's very cheap as you basically only need white cotton and fabric color.
I divided this tutorial in two parts:
  A. Making the shirt
  B. Dyeing it
If you already got a shirt you can obviously skip the first part and the other way around.

What you need:
  • white cotton, 1m (depending on width of the fabric you may need more)
  • fabric color & vinegar/salt (see pack or ask seller)
  • sewing machine
  • scissors  
  • measuring tape

A. Making the skirt
Take your measurements and create the pattern. It should look like this ( I know my Paint-skills are awesome) :


For example: My chest measurement is 84 cm, so the shirt is gonna be about 44 cm wide.
Simply use one of your tops as pattern for the armhole. Don't forget the seam allowance!
Sew as shown  in the picture. You should only sew about 1cm at the upper part as you don't want to have any sleeves.
Afterwards hem all the seams.


2. Dyeing 
Prepare your color as described on the pack. But don't put all the color at once in the water, just use a little bit first. Dip the lower part (up to your armhole) of your shirt in the water for a few seconds. Repeat it two or three times but don't go that high anymore. Add some color and dip it without going that high. Again repeat it, add some color, repeat it... until your happy with the result. You should wear gloves - otherwise your hands will be colored for a couple of days.
Wash out the excessive color and let your shirt dry.



And that's all!




This is my first tutorial so it might be a little bit confusing. Please ask me if you don't understand everything!

6 comments:

  1. Just dropping by to show some support from Lookbook :)

    Would you like to follow each other on blogger with GFC and Lookbook?
    Please let me know if you do so I can follow back x

    www.thesequincinderella.com

    http://lookbook.nu/thesequincinderella

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!♥ I really love your blog:)
    Follow me to germany:
    http://sweet-kisses-lie.blogspot.de

    Love,Lie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is sooo cute) follow you)

    follow me back =)

    My pretty fashion blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be end of mine day, however before ending I am reading this wonderful post to increase my know-how.

    My web blog :: webbypages.co

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saved as a favorite, I love your site!

    my web-site; ロレックスレプリカ

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete